photo kime5_zps3df5231d.png  photo kime6_zpsa90859c6.png  photo kime7_zps9d2ef86d.png  photo kime9_zpsb23b4278.png

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mixed Media Book with Catherine Scanlon Stamps

Welcome to day three of eclectic Paperie's 12 Days of Christmas Celebration!  WooHoo!  It has been an exciting few days and I have been amazed by the beautiful projects posted by our design team...they are the BEST!  And I'm thrilled to be sharing a handmade book project with you today, featuring today's product...Catherine Scanlon stamps!  Catherine is an amazing artist and I was so excited when she launched her stamp and stencil line.  And today only, you can save 30% on one of Catherine's stamps, when you buy one at full price!  Wow, great deal!

I created a video for today's project, which will walk you through the steps needed to re-create a similar book.  And you'll find links for all of the products that I used at the end of the post.  I'm not going to post all of the photos here in the post as you'll see the completed project in the video.  Enjoy!

My cover featured this beautiful Black Eyed Susan image, drawn by Catherine.  The sentiment is also from her new line.  I used Art Anthology sprays to color the paper and a variety of stencils for decoration.  Again, all product links at the end of the post.
The inside cover featured an embossed piece of scrap paper that I had created for another project.  The coloring was perfect for this product and I loved that there was also a gesso resist technique used on the scrap.  Check out my gesso resist video for more details on that technique.  I had the home card in my stash and added the rest of the sentiment using some tiny letter stamps.  One of Catherine Twinchies stamps is above the card.
I'm not the best at journaling, although I should try to do more as it's a great way to record your thoughts, but I love using quote stamps and this big long one from Tim was perfect to fill the page.  I really like stamping directly onto a photo as well.
Seriously, aren't these the moments that make the hard task of parenting all worth it.  Just look at my crazy boys, wearing cardstock masks...and the look my youngest is giving my oldest is priceless.  I adore this photo!  The "so love these moments" stamp is from Ali Edwards.
Another favorite photo...and a great sentiment, stamped in black, and more words above, which have been stenciled.  And a big number eight to signify his age when this photo was taken.  Sigh...that both of my kids would be fearless...not in a reckless way but in a way that keeps them doing what is right and pursuing their dreams.
Inside back cover, with another piece of scrap paper, a card, sentiment, and part of a Twinchies image.  And see my mess up date stamp?  I even like that!!  Embrace the imperfection!!

Check out the full video below, along with all of the product links!  Enjoy!


Supply List:
Catherine Scanlon Stamps (Black Eyed Susan, Twinchies, Good Advice)
Wendy Vecchi Stencils (Three Flourishes and Bar Codes)
Dylusions Stencil (Leaf Flourish)
The Crafters Workshop Stencils (Tiny Circles, US Map, and Cursive Alpha)
Art Anthology Sprays (Timeless and Peacock Feathers)
Claudine Hellmuth Gesso
Copic Markers
Distress Inks (Mustard Seed, Pumice Stone, Gathered Twigs, Pine Needles)
Strathmore Mixed Media Paper


PS - Just realized I have a typo in my video...saying today is the 12th instead of the 11th!  Oopppss...it's late! LOL!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Kim,
Love your video and book. You did a wonderful job on both.