photo kime5_zps3df5231d.png  photo kime6_zpsa90859c6.png  photo kime7_zps9d2ef86d.png  photo kime9_zpsb23b4278.png

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

With Sympathy


It hasn't been often (thankfully) lately that I've needed a sympathy card but when I received word that a former work collegue had passed away it was time for me to create a card to express my condolences to the family.  It's always nearly impossible to know what to say or to find the right words that will bring some measure of comfort but sometimes I think it's best to say little.  With that in mind, I knew I wanted to create a very serene and simple card, with a short sentiment on the front with room to write more inside the card. 

I decided to check out Michelle Zindorf's tutorials because I knew I wanted a main image that featured trees.  If you've never been to Michelle's site, I encourage you to check it out!  She is an amazing artist!  I found a tutorial that would work for my card and got to work!

I used the Through the Trees stamp set from Papertreyink.  To create the reflection I used a stamp positioner (stamp the trees on the slick side of the Stam-A-Ma-Jig plastic, turn it over on your paper and rub gently...perfect reverse image!)  I did use a lighter ink color for the reflection, a deep blue.  This will keep your image from looking like a reflection.  Then using the stamp positioner again, I stamped the upright trees in black ink.  Then I got to work with my blending tool and ink!  Note that I don't use a brayer when I create these cards because I stink at using a brayer!  LOL!  Instead I use a blending tool, from Ranger, and Distress Inks, which are amazing for blending multiple colors.  One my background color was applied, I tore a piece of paper and used a dark ink to create the definition between the trees and the reflection.  Then I used used a white gel pen for some highlights and added the sentiment.  I kept the rest of the card very simple as the main image is able to stand alone.


And now to get this card in the mail...

1 comment:

Monika/Buzsy said...

Very pretty Kim. The trees look beautiful and the technique is awesome. Perfect sympathy card.