photo kime5_zps3df5231d.png  photo kime6_zpsa90859c6.png  photo kime7_zps9d2ef86d.png  photo kime9_zpsb23b4278.png

Friday, March 18, 2011

Tile Coasters

Oh my goodness! I stamped and I had a chance to create this week...finally! I've actually been creating but it's been in the form of scrapbooking. That's right! I finished all of January's photos and completed four scrapbook pages for my very first album! I am super excited and can't wait to share the completed pages!! But for today's project, I'm sharing something that I demonstrated at a Wholly Scrap! class last night during our Anything but a Card class. To start, we made this sweet paper box that held four tile coasters.
This is a super easy box to make, I think a fairly standard pattern. For this box, the bottom is 8" square and is scored every 2". The top is 6 1/16" square and scored every 1". Once you cut out and score both squares, you'll see how to assemble the box. Easy peasy!
I used some fabulous October Afternoon paper (The Cherry Hill line) to decorate the box. And can I just share how much I like October Afternoon products. Oh la la! The paper weight is fantastic, the colors are rich, and I love how their neutral is an off-white vs. stark white. Looks very...creamy and delicious! I created a simple box top with a trading card that coordinates with this paper line. I simply added a few rhinestones, a button, and a piece of fabric ribbon. And now how about those coasters...
These are plain tile coasters that I purchased at Lowes for .32 cents a piece. The first coaster made is just a plain black and white piece but I love this look! It's one of the brand new Tim Holtz stamp sets called Air Travel. Isn't it the greatest designs! Make sure you use Staz-On ink when stamping on coasters!
The next coaster is again all black ink but with a twist...This time I colored the background of the coaster before stamping the tree and sentiment images. (This is a Papertreyink set, Through the Trees). I used torn paper and a sponge to create the hills and a punched out circle for the moon.
The next one is straight forward stamping on to the tile, this time using colored ink. This is the Life set from Papertrey, one of my favorites! I should also note that I used Pallette ink pads (purchased from Papertreyink) for these tiles. It's important to heat set the ink, both the Pallette and the Staz-On, in order for the ink to be waterproof. No matter what the Staz-On ink pad says, it is not waterproof on this type of material. I heat set my tiles in the oven. Set the over to 275 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven but leave the tiles in the oven until the oven is completely cool. You might want to also coat the tiles with a waterproof sealant to protect them from water. The other option, and I'd gladly show this option but Blogger doesn't seem to want to allow me to move my photos tonight, is to use glass paint, which can be purchased at any craft store. The glass paint can be applied directly over the Staz-On inked image and then follow the baking directions on the paint bottle. This is a super easy and fun project to make and are wonderful grab bag and housewarming gifts. I've even sold these in sets at craft shows and they are a big hit! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Connie said...

I just love these Kim! I have wanted to try coasters for a long time and just haven't gotten around to it. You just pushed me to give it a try. I love them all but my favorite has to be the airplane one!! Wow!! Will have to give the box a try too!